Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why I Mark My Library…

Some time around 1882 (probably early 1883), a book of the Constitutions and By-laws of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Missouri was published by the Hugh R. Hildreth Printing Company, located at 407 N. Fourth Street, St. Louis, MO.

One of the copies of this book was delivered to a Lodge in northeast Missouri (Canton) called Craft Lodge # 287.  This book was then marked as part of the Lodge Library by the Lodge Secretary.  (As seen in the picture)  Somewhere along the way, the lodge lost possession of the book.  I assume it was borrowed by a member, but ended up in an estate sale before it was returned.  At some point later, it ended up in the possession of Bro. S.E. Basse, who marked the book with his seal as part of his library.  Bro. Basse passed away in 2009, and again, the book was on the market.  Early 2012, I found it on Ebay, and won the auction. 

When it arrived, I found myself more intrigued by the markings made by others than the print on the pages.  I had to find out who these people were, long since passed, but now occupying my attention.  Bro. Furlong, the lodge secretary, was a charter member of Craft Lodge and a worked at the local livery stable.  Bro. Basse was a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason and Korea War Veteran. 

My thoughts turned to mortality.  Not just mine, but everyone’s.  When was the last time anyone had thought of Bro. Thomas Furlong, died Apr 19, 1924, widowed, aged 77 yrs.  Bro. Shirley Basse has only been gone 3 years, but how often is he remembered?  Does it make a difference to them?  It sure seemed that they were calling to me now from that book.

The book was eventually returned to its original and rightful owners, Craft Lodge #287 of Canton, MO.  The happenings left an impression on me that I should start leaving an impression in my books.  It is my hope that my Masonic Library, as small as it is, would some day be offered to my Lodge after I lay down my working tools.  Being a Notary Public (that has never used his seal), I decided to order a replacement stamp to seal the books of my library so that some day, maybe the though of my life will again pass though the thoughts of the living.  I admit, it does stink of vanity, but no more than an engraved rock in a cemetery.  It is not to brag about donating or owning a book, just a way to leave a mark that, even after I’m long in the ground, says “I was here, this was my name”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment