Freemasons for Dummies by Christopher Hodapp, 368 pgs., Whiley Publishing Inc., Copyright 2005. Purchased at Half Price Books of the Ozarks.
What a great reference book for the new Freemason. Many of us didn’t know what to ask after the degrees. (Some of us didn’t even know who to ask) This book can help fill the gap left by the lack of requirement to complete proficiency in Lodge. We are no longer forced to learn and communicate in order to advance, so a lot of what a new member learns starting out, he has to seek out on his own. That may not be right, but it is accurate. A new brother who skims this book will, at least, be able to follow along in a conversation with other Masons at his first lodge meeting, and that can be enough to keep the ember of light burning in that young mason and, hopefully, keep him coming back for more.
It’s not meant to be read straight though. It’s designed for short attention spans. Just like this paragraph.
While it is inviting, it is also fairly comprehensive, covering symbols, lodge officers, appendant bodies and even the text from Andersons Constitutions. It addresses some of the struggles facing our order today. I think it is also a great resource for family members and significant others that are not quite sure about your new found “hobby” and friends.
I would like to think I have graduated beyond this book, but I still pull it from the shelf from time to time. When given the opportunity to become a charter member of a new local Forrest of the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, this was still my go to reference to see just what it was that I signed up for. (I’m a sucker for pointy hats)
No comments:
Post a Comment